Extra Customized Map Suggestions for Tableau with out Utilizing Mapbox
In a earlier put up I examined a strategy to create Minimalistic Maps in Tableau here with out utilizing Mapbox. Briefly, by unchecking the « base » in Map Layers you’ll be able to change the water colour utilizing the formatting choices. Nonetheless, I used to be lately engaged on a visualization and needed to do the alternative. I needed to make use of the bottom layer together with the streets and highways. In different phrases, I needed to vary the colour of the land and did not care in regards to the water colour. This is an instance of a map I created in Tableau.
The map above makes use of the « darkish » map and has the « Streets and Highways » checked. Discover how the streets are exhibiting up on the map. They’re very arduous to see. I then added some knowledge on the colour shelf for a number of zip codes, however by default the colour is encoded on prime of the map, so the streets now disappear fully within the shaded areas.
To point out the streets once more, we are able to set the transparency on the colour, which is able to let the streets bleed by means of the colour a bit. This helps, however the streets and highways are nonetheless very troublesome to see on this map.
At this level, you may construct a customized Mapbox map with a black background and excessive distinction streets and highways, however in case your map is in america then we are able to leverage one thing already native in Tableau to attain the same impact. We are able to use the Information Layers.
Steps to create customized map utilizing the Information Layer
1. Create a customized colour palette utilizing the colour that you really want in your map.
Modify your desire file by including an « ordered-diverging » or « ordered-sequential » colour palette.
Instance Code so as to add to your desire file for a black background to your map.
Enter #000000 for black or exchange with no matter colour you would like.
2. Open Tableau and Create a viz with a map zoomed into the streets someplace in america
3. Choose Map within the toolbar
4. Choose « Map Layers » in Tableau 9.2 (or « Map Choices » in earlier variations)
4. Set the Map Model to both Mild or Regular
5. Click on the Information Layer dropdown field and choose « Inhabitants » (it would not actually matter which one you choose).
6. The « By: » choice ought to be set to « State »
7. Click on the dropdown field « Utilizing: » to vary the colour and choose the brand new colour that added you your desire file. Within the instance under I take advantage of the « Black to Black » colour that I created.
By doing this, the streets present up as a a lot lighter colour as a result of they’re arrange that manner within the Mild and Regular maps of Tableau. This is an instance utilizing the setting above.
You can too encode knowledge on the colour shelf with transparency and keep your excessive distinction streets and highways. The ultimate end result will look one thing like this:
Right here is an instance utilizing the Regular base map in Tableau, however chaging the land colour to blue.
Word – this does not provide the similar flexibility in your design as Mapbox does, however it does provide the capacity to create some fast customized colour maps with out utilizing Mapbox, which could possibly be useful in sure situations.
I hope you discover this info helpful. You probably have any questions be happy to e-mail me at Jeff@DataPlusScience.com
Jeffrey A. Shaffer
Observe on Twitter @HighVizAbility